Friday, December 17, 2010

Butter Milk. Wow.

Butter Milk. Fresh. A-May-Zing. Definitely paying more than the market price but I appreciate it more than the average market consumer in Rwanda, or maybe the world? So whatever. And pineapple. I don’t seem to get ripped off with the pineapple. Everyone, Rwandan or not, seems to pay 250-300 Frances, and I pay 300. Maybe I’m paying 50 francs more, but that’s less than ten cents difference.

So I walked back from Rabona with two huge pineapples, happy I had an excuse to not wave to all the kids. If I don’t wave, they blankly and sometimes confusedly stare at me, so I need to wave to just break the ice and not feel super awkward. But not when lugging two pineapples. No hands.

2 comments:

  1. Do they let you bargain? Or do they expect you to just accept what they say? Is it actually a bargaining culture? Or are you just being given bad prices with no expected recourse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bargaining culture, but I actually don't think, in the end, I am getting ripped off in Rubona for most things. I need to really check with someone from ASYV how much they pay for butter milk and other commodities.

    ReplyDelete