Saturday, January 8, 2011

Enjoy

A kind message to the generous Israeli who donated the particular T-shirt I saw in Rubona: Your old T-shirt that says “Enjoy קוקיין[Cocaine]” with cocaine italicized to look like the Coca Cola logo is hilarious, really clever, but if you donate it to Good Will while cleaning your house in Israel then a modestly-dressed Rwandese woman may end up wearing it, with her baby waddling behind her as she carefully balances a jug of water on her head, walking down a dirt path, perhaps on her way home or to church. How it got to tiny Rabona is beyond me. I suppose no one else understands it.

After spotting this particular woman, I struck up a conversation with another woman, and had a conversation in Kinyarwanda using the precisely ten phrases I know. And then she asked me for my number. My number! This is fantastically exciting because until now only men have asked for my number . With a woman I know it's for platonic reasons, at least in village with a 100% church/mosque attendance rate. It must have been my awesome personality deduced from the ten phrases I stated, or at least the three that she probably understood….Anyway, she was a very cheery, smiley woman and lived right outside of Agahozo-Shalom.

When going to the market in Rubona, it is easy to forget that the rare good imported from a country farther than Uganda is significantly more expensive than any local goods. I spent 250 Frances on a garlic clove, about the price of half a kilo of tomatoes. The garlic was in a package with Chinese letters on it, and even if only the packaging was from china, that could still explain the price difference. I do not think I was getting ripped off – there was only one lady in the market with garlic, which seems to be a bit of a luxury item.

Speaking of purchasing luxury items, I got a bottle of the Pineapple and Passion fruit whine. It satisfyingly tastes like Kiddish/Communion/cheap-yet-delicious-dessert wine but better because it is sold in cute little bottles by cute little nuns. They sit in front of their church in a little whole-in-the-wall with a microscopic piece of paper with writing on it indicating that something is sold there, and you point to the little bottle of sugary pineapple goodness.They wrote a price in their calculator, I did not have exact change, but a little boy eventually came to buy candles so I only waited five to ten minutes for change. I took the wine and went back the Agahozo-Shalom, past the woman with the Enjoy קוקיין T-shirt.

2 comments:

  1. Garlic is kind of expensive here too. It can cost 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a kilo of vegetables.

    Are there a lot of pineapple/passion fruit things in Rwanda? I love both of those fruit but they are not at all native to this region of the continent.

    Good note on being conscious of the nature of donated items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic sold in Washington Heights (NYC) also often comes from
    China. it's about $1-$2 for four heads, though. Seems cheap to me compared to
    tomatoes, although I don't know for sure, since I never buy regular grocery store
    tomatoes here (they're gross), and always splurge for the fancy ones.

    ReplyDelete