Sunday, August 28, 2011

Theological Asides from Bank Tellers

For a few weeks I used my Israeli passport because my US one was on an adventure searching for a visa. "Ah, you are from Israel!" was the reply I got from workers in various public and private institutions. "So, you believe in Jesus and accept him as your savior?" they add as an aside, casually, sometimes before adding, "and how's the weather over there?"

I pause and say, "Well, I am Jewish, so...no" and I pause, knowing my answer may have offended them more than their question offended me, and add "butIhaveseenwherehewalkedonwater!" quickly, hoping the last statement will make up for any perceived failings on my part. Most of the time, people think it is absolutely hilarious and confusing that I do not believe in Jesus, but I think it's absolutely hilarious and confusing when bank tellers, school administrators, and shop keepers ask me this immediately after finding out I am from Israel.

After I give my answer, I am assured I will be prayed for and someday I will believe him (Him?)

Which I suppose, given the honest asker's theology, is the best answer I can expect.

I'm back to using my US passport, so now bank tellers just yawn and ask me to please sign here.


No comments:

Post a Comment